Currie Community High School is a non-denominational school serving the areas of Currie, Riccarton, Baberton Mains and Juniper Green on the south west side of the City of Edinburgh.
It is almost 400 years since the Church of Scotland complained of “finding nae schoolmaister at Currie” and over three centuries since the parish school was forced to meet in either the church or in a barn. The first three parish school buildings were situated close to Currie Kirk. A schoolmaster, or dominie, would teach a huge class the ‘3 Rs’. After 1872 education was compulsory and School Boards were established to administer the new state system. By this time the school had three staff and a roll of over 100 pupils. Despite the Reverend Somerville’s claims that the 1829 building was “a perfect model” the third parish school was far from perfect, and in 1906 the school was moved to a new site now occupied by Currie Public Library, then some 70 years ago to the former Curriehill Primary School. However, Currie Secondary School had only junior secondary status and some pupils went to West Calder to complete their secondary education. By the 1960s Currie’s population had greatly increased. In 1961 senior secondary status was granted. Pupils could thereafter study a full range of Highers and could undertake a sixth year in preparation for university.
In Session 1965-66 Currie High School moved to its present site. The roll peaked in the early 1980s at over 1400 pupils. Pressure on space was partly relieved by the opening of Balerno High in 1984. However, several departments remained in temporary accommodation.
In 1995 following a campaign by the School Board and the local community, the then Lothian Regional Council agreed to a new refurbishment programme costing £6.2 million. In addition further funds were received from the National Lottery Sports Fund for the construction of an astro-turf pitch, a fitness suite, the upgrading of the changing accommodation for P.E. and the provision of community facilities.
As a result of these recent developments the school is better placed than at any time in its history to meet the educational and recreational needs of the local community that we serve.
A further campaign resulted in Currie being designated as a Community High School in 1997. The school’s extensive facilities are now shared with the local community.