Dear Parent/Carer and Candidate,
Scottish Qualifications Authority national examinations: 2018 diet.
Further to our previous communication detailing study leave arrangements, please find an individual candidate exam timetable with this letter. There are a number of action points for you:
- Check that this agrees with you and the teacher’s idea of what exams are supposed to be taken. If they do not match the expectation, the candidate should take their timetable to Mr Pache immediately, even if this means missing a few minutes of a class.
- Check your address. This is the address your SQA certificate will be sent to. If you have changed your address or are about to change it, please inform Mr Pache immediately.
- Candidates should have seats allocated for all their exams, this includes candidates with extra time. Those candidates with either Additional Arrangements (AAs) or the use of PCs will receive their own customised arrangements from Ms Wilson (Support for Learning Leader).
- French or German Writing exam seats are the same as those in Reading.
As a reminder, with appropriate parental guidance it is the responsibility of each candidate:
- to be aware of the dates, times and accommodation for all their own exams (including their own Additional Arrangements).
- to be aware of regulations relating to their SQA exams – see SQA booklet Your Exams 2018, and the attached summary.
- to ensure transport arrangements are in place to reach school in good time for the exam.
- to make themselves aware of the location of the exam and their seat number well before the start of the exam. (These are posted in advance and in the foyer before each exam. AAs accommodation will be notified separately).
- to attend the exams in school dress code – there is no relaxation of this.
- to leave the premises at the end of the exam.
NB If late, candidates are not guaranteed entry into any exam, and in some circumstances candidates cannot be permitted entry by the SQA Invigilator. Phone the school immediately you are aware that a candidate will be late for an exam.
Emergencies during the exam diet
If there is a medical or similar genuine emergency which will prevent a candidate from attending an exam, or impact significantly on their performance, please call the school as soon as possible to let Mr Pache and the Pupil Support Leader (Guidance) teacher know. The conditions which allow us to apply for Exceptional Circumstances are strictly defined and do not include mild common aliments or issues around normal ‘exam nerves’, trouble sleeping etc.
SQA regulations will not permit a candidate to sit the exam they missed at another time as each exam has a nationally fixed slot.
If you have any questions or require further assistance, please contact Mr Pache.
Study Leave Arrangements
Study leave arrangements have been previously confirmed with all pupils.
SQA Post-Results Service
Please note there are no longer such things as ‘appeals’ in Scottish education. After the results are published in August the only grounds on which a school is permitted to ask the SQA to review exam scripts is if we have evidence which leads us to believe that there has either been a clerical error or marking errors. We are not permitted to speculatively ask for checks because a result is borderline or because a candidate performed well in the Prelim, nor because a parent requests it. This may appear hard on some candidates compared to in the past, but it is out of the school’s control.
Best wishes to all the candidates with their exams!
Business Manager & SQA Coordinator