Welfare Room

Process for pupils to follow if they are ill at school

  1. Any pupil that feels unwell at school should speak to their teacher in the first instance and the teacher will decide if they should be sent to the Welfare Room. No pupil should call or text home during class time or between classes (unless it is break-time or lunchtime) as per school policy.
  2. If a pupils feels unwell during break or lunch they can go straight to the Welfare Room.
  3. The Pupil Support Assistant in the Welfare Room is a qualified First Aider and will assess a pupil to determine if a parent/carer needs to be called to discuss a pupils condition and if they need to go home. Please ensure all parent/carer contact details are kept up to date at all times.
  4. Pupils under 16 will only be allowed home if they are collected from school by a parent/carer. Pupils over 16 will only be allowed to go home once the school has obtained permission from the parent/carer.
  5. It is extremely important that no pupil who is ill should leave school without having followed this process. This is because –
    1. If an illness were to rapidly get worse the safety of the pupil would be at risk.
    2. If an emergency situation were to happen at school such as a fire alarm, and attendance records show a pupil is in school but not part of the school evacuation they will be deemed as still being in the building. In this circumstance the emergency services may enter a dangerous situation to look for the pupil and put themselves in danger for no reason.

Pupil Medication – Quick Overview for Parents

Here is an overview of the procedures around pupil medication at Currie Community High School. 

  1. At the beginning of each school year (June for S2 to S6 and August for S1) parents are required to provide the school with the appropriate forms and if required, the medication a pupil may need during the school day. This should be treated as a high priority for pupils with chronic conditions such as asthma and allergies. Forms can be found below.
  2. No medication of any kind can be taken in school or administered by high school staff without a  parental request form being completed and signed by a parent/carer. This includes non-prescribed medication such as piriton, paracetamol and ibuprofen.
  3. Prescribed medication for pupils must be supplied to the school by a parent, in the dispensing container with the original pharmacy label detailing the pupil’s         name, date of birth, etc.
  4. Any change to medication type or dose requires a new form to be completed and signed by parent/carer. This must be returned to the school before it can be taken or given at school.
  5. Medication held and administered at school may need replenished. When this is the case the school nurse will contact the parent/carer via email or telephone to request more medication. Please provide this as soon as possible so that pupils do not miss having their medication administered.
  6. Pupils who want to and are able to self-administer medication may do so only with parents’/carers’ and the school’s permission. A form must be completed  and signed before self-administration is undertaken at school. Please be aware this includes paracetamol and ibuprofen.
  7. At the end of each school year all medication must be collected from the school by the parents/carers. This includes epi-pens and inhalers. A letter/email will be sent requesting parents/carers do this by the last day of term. No medication will be kept in school during the summer holidays therefore any medication not picked up will be handed into the local pharmacy for disposal.

Medical Forms

  1. To be used for pupils who carry and self administer prescribed and non prescribed medication  Medication carried and self administered by pupil – please complete and pass to the Welfare Room.
  2. Non prescribed medication to be held by the school complete this form appendix_3-non-prescribed-medication-form
  3. Short Term prescribed medication to be held and administered by the school please complete this form appendix_4-school-to-issue-st-prescribed-meds
  4. Long term prescribed medication to be held and administered by the school – given regularlyappendix_14-allergies appendix_15-eczema appendix_5-school-to-issue-lt-prescribed-meds
  5. Long term prescribed medication to be held and administered by the school on an as required basis appendix_6-school-to-issue-lt-as-reqd-prescribed-meds

Please do not hesitate to contact the school if you have any questions or queries regarding the above.